It can be difficult when someone close to you passes away to know who you need to inform, so we have put together a list of the important people or establishments that you will need to inform. This list may not be exclusive, as every persons circumstances are different, but it will give you a very good start.

  • • Tell family members and friends about the death.
  • • Employer or educational establishments.
  • • Health professionals. You will also need to cancel any outstanding hospital, dental, podiatry or other health related appointments.
  • • Agencies providing care such as social services, home carers, meals on wheels and day centres.

Financial organisations

  • • Banks/National Savings/building societies.
  • • Insurance companies (e.g. life, buildings/contents, medical, car, travel).
  • • Pension providers.
  • • Credit card/store card providers.
  • • Any other financial institutions must be informed so that any accounts solely in the deceased’s name can be frozen to prevent fraud. You should also inform companies/organisations with joint accounts, although these should normally still be accessible by the other joint holder.

Property and utilities

  • • Mortgage provider.
  • • If the deceased lived in rented accommodation, inform the local authority, housing association or private landlord.
  • • Buildings and property insurance companies to ensure continued cover especially if the property is left unoccupied.
  • • Utility companies (electricity, gas, water and telephone) and arrange transfer of account details if necessary.
  • • TV/internet companies.

Government offices

  • • Pensions Service or Jobcentre Plus to cancel any benefits to the deceased or their carer. To find out more, you can call us for advice and contact details.
  • • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs to deal with tax and Child Benefit payments (if applicable).
  • • Local government offices that provide services such as the Electoral Register, housing benefit, council tax office, bus pass, disabled parking permits, library membership
  • • The DVLA and the insurance company if the deceased owned a car or held a driving licence.
  • • The Passport Agency.

Other contacts

  • • Arrange redirection of post if necessary and reduce the burden of any unwanted mail by registering with the Bereavement Register.
  • • Clubs/membership organisations/social groups.
  • • If the deceased held a firearms licence for work and/or recreational purposes, please contact your local police station.

Tell Us Once

You may be able to take advantage of the ‘Tell Us Once’ Service this means when the registrar collects details from you about the birth or the death they can then pass this information through to other agencies such as:

    • • Department for Work and Pensions
    • • HM Revenue and Customs (for tax, credits and benefits)
    • • Identity and Passport Service
    • • housing and council tax offices.
    • • electoral services
    • • libraries
    • • children’s services
    • • Blue Badge parking scheme
    • • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

If you are registering a death in Derbyshire Click Here to find out how Derbyshire County Council’s ‘Tell Us Once’ scheme can help you.